What a great time over Christmas our teams have had. It is tiring work but there are plenty of smiles and fun around the place!! The Bulls Head in Mobberley held its annual Christmas Jumper competition and the judges moved around the pub secretly assessing the best. Pete had won it last year with his ‘snow man number’ so was a favourite again this year.
There were a number of good efforts but I am pleased to say Pete held on to his crown with an ‘elf jumper’ with matching hat!! Well done Pete! There must be someone out there who can out do Pete in 2014??!
The teams as you can see had a good go with our personal favourite being Tom at the Church Inn with his Christmas pudding version!! Thanks to all our teams for making the effort. At the Cholmondeley Arms the ‘Snow Ball’ Drink was re-incarnated by the team and you can see Miya sampling some for the camera behind the Cholmondeley Bar!!!
Thank you to all our customers who have added to the atmosphere at all our pubs. There have been Christmas Carol singers at Cholmondeley and Brass bands at The three Greyhounds Inn at Allostock and The Church Inn in Mobberley as we managed to squeeze them in our newly decorated Church Inn ‘boot room’.
On Christmas eve as the Carol service finished at St. Wilfs church opposite the Church Inn in Mobberley we were on hand to serve the masses (get it!!) with mulled wine on the terrace with warm chimineas burning away. There were festive nibbles and roasted chestnuts and a lot of good cheer! A very happy Christmas to all!!
Thanks to all our teams for working so hard!!
Everest pioneer Frank Smythe ‘saw frozen remains of George Mallory in 1936’: Mountaineer’s diary reveals sighting SIXTY YEARS before legendary explorer was found
- Mr Smythe, who came within 800ft of peak, saw body through a telescope
- He wrote of the sighting to Edward Norton, who had climbed with Mallory
- But he asked that he keep it secret to avoid causing a sensation
- A copy of the letter was found in an old diary by Mr Smythe’s son Tony
The frozen body of legendary explorer George Mallory was spotted by a fellow pioneer on the slopes of Everest decades before the remains were finally recovered, a forgotten diary has revealed.
Frank Smythe, who made several attempts on the world’s highest peak in the 1930s, wrote that he saw what he believed to be the remains of Mallory and his partner Andrew Irvine through a powerful telescope in 1936.
Mr Smythe’s report is the only sighting of Mallory’s remains before they were eventually found by Conrad Anker in 1999. It was mentioned in a letter to Edward Norton, who led the expedition in 1924 when Mallory disappeared in a bid for the summit.
A copy of the letter was found in the back of the explorer’s diary by his son, Tony Smythe, while researching a book about this father’s life.
According to the Observer, the letter said: ‘I was scanning the face from base camp through a high-powered telescope last year when I saw something queer in a gully below the scree shelf.
‘Of course it was a long way away and very small, but I’ve a six/six eyesight and do not believe it was a rock.
‘This object was at precisely the point where Mallory and Irvine would have fallen had they rolled on over the scree slopes.’
Mr Smythe explained that he felt compelled to search the area as it was directly above the point at which a previous expedition found an ice axe, which is believed to have marked the scene of a fatal accident.
Although Mr Smythe, a prolific author, wrote extensively about his expeditions, he left out details of the sighting of Mallory, and made clear in his letter to Mr Norton that it was not to be written about, in case it triggered a storm of media speculation.
It is one of the most celebrated mysteries of modern mountaineering whether Mallory and Irvine managed to reach the summit of Everest before dying on the mountain.
Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzig Norgay were the first climbers to definitively reach the summit, with the aid of oxygen, in 1953.
Mr Smythe reached 28,200ft in an expedition in 1933, less than 800ft from the summit, but had to turn back.
He made further attempts on the summit, including the 1936 expedition where he sighted Mallory’s remains, but never matched his record.
As temperatures rise and we actually have the summer we deserve (at long last!!) it is important that we let new potential customers know the wonderful outside space we have here at the Church Inn. To the side we have our terrace opposite St Wilfrid’s Church which gets shade as well as sun. When the Church bells ring you could be in a little square in Italy with a cool Aperol Spritz!!#
To the rear of the pub we have our ‘Wisteria Garden’ which is a sun trap and gets the sun late in to the evening, moving down the step from here is the shady beer garden as the path meanders down to our beautiful bowling green. The views from the rear of the pub across the Cheshire fields are breath-taking. Whether you want sun or shade, atmosphere or views the Church Inn has a little of everything.
We do some great yesteryear cool drinks like the Dubonnet Spritzer as well as the now famous Aperol Spritz. Long and cool in the summer sunshine….there’s nothing better!!
Yes it is true…the boys from Tatton Micro-brewery drink lager too!!! The ‘Tatton Two’ as they will be known, rocked up to the new Church Inn having dropped off one of our new house ales which is to be called Ale’Alujah (see badge).
Their curiosity got the better of them and they slipped in to the pub to have a good look around, then low and behold next minute they were caught on camera sipping our new English ‘craft’ lager called ‘Freedom Four’.
Now these are ale enthusiasts at their best but they were on the fizzy stuff for sure!!! When caught in the act they declared it was because it was English and crafted!! Fair enough but we couldn’t resist getting a shot of them, glasses in hand.
We also celebrate the emergence of English craft beers with our Titanic Stout which is a really good 4.5% porter in keg format. The other house cask ale we offer is in honour of Mobberly’ite Climber George Mallory…know as Mallory’s Mobberley Best a lovely 3.9% session ale from Dunham Massey Brewery.
So take a leaf out of the ‘Tatton Two’s Book and come and have a pint!!!
There’s something English for everyone!!
Yes after 8 gruelling weeks, the longest of any restoration we have done, the new Church Inn re-opened its doors on Wednesday19th June 2013. The pub is truly restored beyond anything we could have expected and anyone that knew the pub before will appreciate the effort of everyone involved in this re-build job.
After being acquired way back in January, in a near derelict state, by Tim Bird and Mary McLaughlin this Grade II listed pub is now fully restored and refurbished offering great food in an old ‘Country Tavern’ environment. The pub has a main bar with intimate small dining rooms. There is a ‘boot room’ for a ‘muddy boot’ pint of ale and a private dining room upstairs with a smaller ‘chefs library’ dining, or indeed, meeting room, adjacent. There is now a new sunny garden to the rear of the pub, snaking down to one of Cheshire’s oldest bowling greens. The hedges have been reduced to reveal wonderful views across farmer’s fields from the rear with wisteria growing elegantly above. There is a summer dining terrace to the side of the pub which is now enclosed and secluded with lovely views of St. Wilfrid’s Church opposite. WE are truly in the heart of some of Cheshire’s most beautiful countryside.
The Church Inn is a traditional yet stylish 18th Century country pub located on the edge of Mobberley, a short distance from the village cricket club for whom a ‘cricket corner’ of interest has been added to the bar. The pub has been wonderfully restored and its grand history has been truly revived.
In 1715 the pub was actually called the Bulls Head and changed its name to the Wright Arms some years later, mainly because there was a second pub in Mobberley called the Bulls Head already!! Ironically the Church Inn is now the ‘sister pub’ of the award winning Bulls Head! The name was then changed to the Church Inn because of it’s proximately to the village church.
Freshly cooked food is a massive part of the new Church Inn, all prepared by the excellent team of chefs developed through the kitchens of Tim and Mary’s other pubs. Such dishes as Roast corn-fed Chicken with smoked mash, summer vegetables, griddled baby leeks and tarragon gravy or Gressingham Duck Breast, with herb polenta, Winchester cheese and caramelized beetroot or the Cheshire Farmed Lamb Burger with Anglesey Feta and caramelized onion chutney, pickled cucumber salad and chips get the taste buds tingling.
There is a ‘communion’ of wines celebrated within the pub featuring a list of fifty or so wines from ‘old world’ classics to the ‘new world’ innovations with a few unique additions from as far afield as Mexico and Israel.
The Cask ales are from within a 15 mile boundary as well as one pump dedicated to craft ales from around the country, English Stouts and craft lagers differentiate our offering further.
We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!